Rainy Day Clothing
The beginning of the new year brings new year’s resolutions, the January blues and pretty bad weather along with it too. As one of the coldest months of the year, with dark morning and early sunsets a particular pet hate of mine, we are always on the look out for things to do on a rainy day in January.
However, an old mountaineering quote always pops into my head when I see the rain start to pour.
“There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.”
Of course, no one likes going out in the rain (unless you’re 3 and get to jump in the puddles), but isn’t that just because you don’t have your proper rain coat on? Whether you invest in a large showerproof coat, opt to take a 3 in 1 pac-a-mac out with you just in case or fancy layering up with a fleece or gilet, once you’ve got the gear, you’re ready for the great outdoors – rain and all!
Extra Large Waterproof Clothing
This coat is really great for wearing outdoors and will keep you warm thanks to the fleece lining and diamond quilting. Perfect for walking the dog, smart enough to wear with jeans and a shirt and all in all a fashionable showerproof coat that’s available in big sizes up to an 8XL.
KAM Square Quilt Jacket
This black quilted jacket is a great under-layer and perfect for throwing on over your outfit when the wind picks up. Although not technically waterproof due to the knitted sleeves, I had to include it as it is a lightweight piece that’s so versatile and great for layering.
Regatta Backmoor Waterproof Jacket
This Regatta jacket is a great quality, large waterproof coat that is made for the outdoors. Fleece lined, it is sure to keep you warm (whilst keeping the wind out) and comes with an all important adjustable hood that can be pulled tight to your face to keep the rain out. Velcro fastenings on the wrists again keep the rain out, keep you warm and all in all it is a durable waterproof coat, from top brand Regatta.
Things to Do on a Rainy Day in January
If you don’t fancy heading outside when it’s raining (and we wouldn’t blame you) here are a few activities and ideas for you to do. Whether alone, with kids or mates, take your pick of rainy day activities from our list!
- Draw a picture
- Do some painting (on paper or on the walls)
- Create something: A shelf, a book mark, anything
- Write: a book, a poem, a letter
- Finish off those DIY projects you’ve been putting off
- Visit an art gallery
- Grab a coffee at a ceramic café
Get Cooking (or just eating)
- Try a new recipe
- Cook a meal whether that’s 1, 2 or 3 courses
- Try a new cuisine
- Buy an ingredient you have never tried and cook with it
- Go to that restaurant you’ve been meaning to visit
- Visit a farm shop and grab some ingredients for an indoor picnic
- Visit your local gym
- Get wet in a swimming pool
- Try rock climbing
- Take your mates bowling
- Visit a sports park and try roller blading, skating or even skiing
Have Fun Indoors
- Visit the local aquarium
- Fancy learning a bit of history at the museum?
- Watch the latest blockbuster at the cinema
- Start watching a tv series and get hooked
- Get to the next level on your favourite video game
- Wonder around a distillery
- Visit the pub with your mates – play darts, pool or cards
- Just get out and face the weather – it’s only rain after all!
- Visit the zoo
- Play at the park
- Take the dog for a walk
- Visit the local gardens
- Go shopping
- Go for a bike ride
- Take a walk
So there you have it. Whether you stay warm and dry indoors or head out and brave the rain, I hope that this list has given you a few ideas for what to do. Of course, don’t forget that Big Dude have a great selection of waterproofs and whether you are after big coats, showerproof jackets or cosy fleeces, we have lots of styles available in big sizes from 2-8XL – Check ‘em out!